Sunday, May 13, 2007

House History

Danielle and Simon have recently posted photos of the views from their windows. As I've posted before the view from my window is shown at the top of the blog. It's very wet now and the buttercups are starting to fade now, so the view is a bit different today. I'm not sure how old this house is and I'm researching its history. It was certainly built before 1870, possibly in 1848 as one of my neighbours in a similar house has a poster dated 1848 advertising the sale of two "newly built cottages" by auction.

It's one of a group of 8 cottages set in pairs in a square around an old apple orchard three miles from a small market town, some 40 miles away from London. Some of the old apple trees are still growing in my neighbour's garden. Originally it was a one-up-one-down cottage, which has had extensions over the years. It was part of a large landed estate dating back to the 11th century and is still in a quiet backwater away from the busy main road, even though that is at the top of the lane. I have seen records in the National Archives at Kew detailing the people who lived here in the early 1900s and want to look at the Census Returns to see how far I can go back to find out who else has lived here. My aim is to write about the house and its owners/occupiers.

I have one of Cassini's historical maps, which shows the area as it was in 1822 - 1834 and although it is on a small scale it looks as though the cottage was in existence at that date. I shall be visiting our local County Record Office to see what else I can find out from maps and other documents.

6 comments:

StuckInABook said...

Wow, that's stunning. I must post my view from home sometime (the one I posted is from university) which is equally countryside-y, though not as beautiful as yours. I hadn't seen your blog before, but it's great - must dash along and add it to my list of links.

danielle said...

Wow--I had no idea that was your view! I thought it was just a lovely photo you placed on your header!! Now that is the sort of view I wish I had. It must be lovely to watch as the seasons change!

Janice said...

oh my ... how beautiful is your buttercup meadow

most (not all) of the folks who read and write here with Simon live in the UK, and I'm seeing and learning so much about that part of the world that I've never seen

reading your profile (quickly as I dashed out the door late for class), I misread the 'interests' section as 'cooking cats' ... oh my

BooksPlease said...

Simon good to hear from you. I see you're going to be a librarian. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did. I used to be a local history librarian in Manchester years ago, before I had a family.
Danielle, yes it's a great view, beautiful at all the seasons, particularly good in autumn and spring.
Janice, well I could never cook a cat, not enough meat on them, well certainly not enough on our beautiful, little ginger cat. How could you think that??

BooksPlease said...

Janice, PS I do know you are joking.

Tara said...

Hello! What an amazing view you have. I'm so envious.