Tuesday, May 29, 2007

What to read next?

I've finished reading The Woodlanders and am itching to start another book. But which one? I've whittled down my choice to Death's Jest Book by Reginald Hill, because I liked Pictures of Perfection. Or it could be Disgrace by J M Coetzee, or No Saints or Angels by Ivan Klima, both recommended by a friend. Alternatively I could go for Fruit of the Lemon by Andrea Levy, recommended by another friend, currently travelling round the world (at present in New Zealand). Thanks to both of you for the suggestions - I'll get to them all eventually if not now.

Or I could plump for The Lollipop Shoes by Joanne Harris, which I bought on impulse. Or maybe it's time for something completely different, such as Shakespeare, the Biography by Peter Ackroyd because currently we're planning to see Macbeth at Stratford, although the dates are a bit difficult.

D reminds me that I should start reading Wilberforce by John Pollock because our next Book Circle meeting is in a fortnight when we will be discussing this book. It's long and looks very detailed. We chose this book as it's the 200th anniversary of the abolition of the slave trade. So maybe I'll read this one next - and one of the others as well.

6 comments:

Ann said...

Personally, I would say the Hill, but long experience of having to rush through a book group read in order to get it finished in time for the meeting says at least start that so that you can get some idea of how long it's going to take you. Now, what do I need to read for next Thursday?????

BooksPlease said...

Thanks Ann. Since writing the post I've started and am well into the Hill book, but still not started on Wilberforce. What do you need for Thursday??

danielle said...

I always love choosing the next book to read!! I also bought Lollipop Shoes and hope to get into it soon!

BooksPlease said...

Danielle, sometimes choosing a book is easy and sometimes it's so difficult, because there are so many that I want to read. There is a limit to how many I can have on the go at once! And sometimes, I just can't get into a book that previously sounded so appealing.

Rowan said...

Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog, it's always lovely to have new people leaving their thoughts. Did you enjoy 'The Woodlanders'? It's well over 40 years since I read it - it was one of our set books for English Lit GCE.

BooksPlease said...

Hello Rowan, yes I loved The Woodlanders and I'll write about soon. The Mayor of Casterbridge was one of the set books when I did English Lit GCE, way back.