Sunday, June 10, 2007

Wilberforce and yet more library books

This is my copy of Wilberforce by John Pollack, which I've just started to read for the book group meeting next Thursday. It has a most annoying front cover because it curls upwards, as you can see. D and I are both reading this and not finding it too enthralling! I don't think we'll finish it before the meeting, but that will be OK and we will still be able to give our views. When we've finished it (if we finish it) I'll jot down some thoughts here.

These books are beckoning me.
They're all library books I picked up on Friday. As someone else had reserved it I had to return a book to our local branch library. I didn't intend borrowing anymore books- I've plenty to read. BUT, Arlington Park and Digging to America were on display on the returns counter, along with other books on the Orange Prize Shortlist and so I thought, why not borrow them. The winner, Half of a Yellow Sun by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie had already gone out, or I'd have borrowed that too.

A quick tour round the library shelves and I also found books by Anita Brookner, Joyce Carol Oates, Reginald Hill and Melvyn Bragg that I hadn't read. So they all came home with me to add to the To Be Read piles. I really like this little branch library as it always seems to have interesting books, good displays and friendly staff.

No comments: