Friday, July 06, 2007

Bookaholic

I am a Bookaholic and that's official, see the link on the lefthand side, somewhere lower down the page. Of course, I've always been a book addict, but I've only just come across this BlogRing thanks to Dovegreyreader's blog.

The picture above shows the covers of some books I've just bought or borrowed. We had another visit to our son last weekend, celebrating D's birthday and came away with three books (two are borrowed) - Ulysses and the English Patient. I've read Joyce's A Portrait of an Artist As a Young Man, but have been a bit put off reading Ulysses by its reputation, but now is the time to give it a go. As for the English Patient I've seen and enjoyed the film. I usually find it's better for me to read a book after seeing the film of it, rather than the other way round, so I hope to enjoy the book too. The third book that came home with me is Fictions, by Jorge Luis Borges. The first story is "The Garden of Forking Paths", which I first read a few years ago and remember that it was a curious tale. The foreword says that the others are tales of fantasy, including an astonishing account of a man who can forget nothing (so it says on the back cover).

I've at last ventured into the secondhand books on Amazon and was really pleased to find Elizabeth Jane Howard's memoir Slipstream for 1p (she wrote the Cazalet Chronicles amongst other books) and The Sex Life of My Aunt, by Mavis Cheek for 33p. Cheek is a new author to me. Elizabeth Buchan says she is "Funny, clever Mavis Cheek ... writing with her trademark aplomb and heart-topping energy." So it should be entertaining. The Jigsaw Maker, by Adrienne Dines is appealing because of the title and also its promise of a story of a settled life falling into pieces and the scramble to put it back together. This was a bit dearer at 90p. They're all in really good condition and came by second class post really quickly.

The other two books are also bargains, this time from newbooks magazine. These are Wild Mary, a biography of yet another author, Mary Wesley; and The Brief History of the Dead, which sounds intriguing, described on the back cover as "a place between heaven and earth. A city where everyone ends up after they die."

Finally, I shall be testing this book to see if it can live up to its promise. I'm a complete ignoramus as far as HTML goes and it'll have to be very clearly explained for me to learn "all the essential know-how" to "create simple to advanced HTML documents". I can't believe it can be that simple and easy.







6 comments:

Ann said...

Cheek can be a bit patchy. If you enjoy this try her most recent novel 'Yesterday's Houses'. Most of my friends agreed she was on top form with this.

MyUtopia said...

Great list.

litlove said...

I very much enjoyed Elizabeth Jane Howard's memoir - will be interested to know what you think of it!

Dorothy W. said...

Enjoy your new books!

danielle said...

What great new books! I am very curious about Slipstream (have also read and enjoyed the Cazalet Chronicles--wouldn't mind rereading them!), as well as Wild Mary--I love Mary Wesley's books. You'll have to share more about these when you get to them!

BooksPlease said...

I haven't started the Cheek book yet, but have had a quick peek at Elizabeth Jane Howard's memoir. I've too many on the go at the moment so I mustn't start another one yet. I'm tempted to re-read the Cazalet Chronicles too.