Thursday, August 23, 2007

Booking through Thursday

Indoctrination

Using a suggestion from Erin today:Indoctrination



When growing up did your family share your love of books? If so, did one person get you into reading? And, do you have any family-oriented memories with books and reading? (Family trips to bookstore, reading the same book as a sibling or parent, etc.)


My love of books is down entirely to my parents. My Dad read to me every night and made up stories for me as well. Both my parents encouraged me to read and Dad made me a bookcase which I still have today. It was always a treat to go to the bookshop and choose a book and books have always been the presents I would choose if my aunties asked what I wanted for Christmas. My mother was always reading as well. I'd come home from school to find her reading and I'd pick up a book too.

She used to take me to the branch library, first when I was very small, on a little seat on the back of her bike and later on we went every Saturday on the bus to the bigger library in the town nearby. There was also a travelling library that came round the road where we lived and we borrowed books from that too. I suppose that it was inevitable that I became a librarian - that was my Dad's suggestion and it was ideal for me, surrounded by books at home and at work.

6 comments:

Mei said...

I remember wanting to be a librarian, because it meant I would get to read all the books!

Callista said...

I wanted to be a librarian too, still do! My answer is here: http://smsbookreviews.blogspot.com/2007/08/booking-through-thursday-indoctrination.html

Literary Feline said...

I wish there had been a library mobile in one of the neighborhoods I lived in. Perhaps there had been in the earlier ones, but I do not remember them. I do remember many trips to the public library for the summer reading program. Those were always fun!

Angela Young said...

My father read to me too .. the memories are precious, aren't they?

Dorothy W. said...

That sounds like my family -- reading all the time, and very excited at the chance to get new books!

BooksPlease said...

This post brought back many memories for me, particularly of my parents. Angela is quite right - these memories are precious.