Thursday, September 20, 2007

Booking Through Thursday - Sunshine and Roses




Sunshine and Roses

The reverse of last week’s question:

Imagine that everything is going just swimmingly. The sun is shining, the birds are singing, and all’s right with the world. You’re practically bouncing from health and have money in your pocket. The kids are playing and laughing, the puppy is chewing in the cutest possible manner on an officially-sanctioned chew toy, and in between moments of laughter for pure joy, you pick up a book to read . . .

What is it?


This is quite difficult to answer, but I think that I'd read a book I've not read before, probably by an author I like, such as Margaret Atwood. A couple of books that I would like to read again are Karen Armstrong's memoir The Spiral Staircase and M Scott Peck's In Search of Stones. Both are books that I read with anticipation and they lived up to my expectations. Both are personal accounts of the authors' beliefs and spiritual journeys.

The funny thing is that although I've got piles of unread books sometimes I can't find the right one to read next and end up starting a few and feeling that they're just not quite right. Then I pick up a book in a bookshop or the library and it's the right one for that moment. The book I'm currently reading, Astrid and Veronika by Linda Olsson is a beautiful, but sad book (so far) and it's just right at the moment, but if I was feeling sad myself it would probably make me feel worse.

Some books are hard to read because they're so moving and I thought of Hannah's Gift by Maria Housden when I first read this question, because it's a book that I just couldn't read if I was depressed. It's the story of a mother's three year old daughter's illness and death and it is heartbreaking. It made me cry and I just had to stop reading it; I picked it up later because I felt I had to know the end.

6 comments:

Cee Cee said...

Nice blog! You list some great books. I'm like you: I have books on my TBR but I have to be in the mood for them. Sigh, then I go buy more books.

Library Girl said...

Oooh, great thoughts today! I have Astrid and Veronika on my reading list, but I haven't made it down that far yet. I shall have to move it up and make it a priority! Happy BTT!

Melody said...

I enjoyed reading A&N. It's a great book and definitely a keeper for me.

Happy reading!

gautami said...

Great choices. I like your list!

GeraniumCat said...

I know just what you mean about not being able to find something on the TBR pile! And I like an excuse to buy a new book.

Ann Darnton said...

Yes, I think GeraniumCat is right, there's always something nicer about buying a new book rather than digging out one from the TBR pile and when you're feeling up about things you don't feel so guilty about spending the money. I haven't read any Armstrong, although I've been tempted after hearing her on the radio. Would this be a good place to start?