Monday, September 17, 2007

Library Books



At the weekend Danielle posted a Library Meme. What do you have checked out from the library? So here's my list. The photo above is of the latest books I borrowed a few days ago.
  • Darkmans by Nicola Barker, shortlisted for the Booker Prize. I've started this one, but so far I've not found it too riveting, but then I'm only up to page 24. It's so long and so, so heavy (in weight, that is), not for reading in bed. I'm not going to finish this before the Booker Prize is announced.

  • The Bookseller of Kabul by Asne Seierstad. A friend recommended this a while ago.

  • The Daphne Du Maurier Companion edited by Helen Taylor. This has interviews with her family, essays by contemporary authors and a long-lost short story by Du Maurier. I've read the short story "And His Letters Grew Colder" - it's sad.

  • Astrid and Veronika by Linda Olsson. I found this in the "1st Novel Collection" and sat down in the library to start reading. There are some comfy chairs, which are spread around the library, which are ideal for browsing whilst you decide what to borrow. This looks very good. It set in Sweden, where Veronika, a young writer arrives seeking stillness and solitude. She is observed by her elderly, reclusive neighbour, Astrid. Eventually they become friends and confide their secrets.

I've also got these books on loan:

  • Lewis Carroll by Cohen Morton. I'm currently reading about a chapter a day of this. I've just got up to Chapter 5 'The Alice Books', which is about the writing and publication of the books in the 1860s.

  • Crow Lake by Mary Lawson -I've finished this one and enjoyed it very much. I'll write about it soon.

  • Four Letters of Love by Niall Williams, because I enjoyed As it is in Heaven.

  • Generals Die in Bed: a novel from the trenches by Charles Yale Harrison. I borrowed this because I'm interested in reading a novel about the Western Front. It's short book, so it shouldn't take too long to read.

  • The Edible Woman by Margaret Atwood, one of my favourite authors.

  • The Dante Club by Matthew Pearl. I ploughed my way through his Poe Shadow, which was interesting although parts were a bit tedious. This another quite long book - but not as long as Darkmans.

  • Digital Photography for Seniors in Easy Steps by Nick Vandome - I need some help. My photos are a bit hit and miss.

  • Ancestors of Avalon by Marion Zimmer Bradley. I read her Mists of Avalon a few years ago. This is about the fall of Atlantis and the origins of Stonehenge.

  • Ghostwalk by Rachel Stott. I've finished this - another good book, which I'm going to post about.

  • Cold Comfort Farm by Stella Gibbons. Ann recommended this. I've read it many years ago and enjoyed it then, so when I saw it in the library I picked it up.

  • Emerson's Essays. This is an Everyman's Library edition first published in 1906. I found it in the Reserve Stock (where they keep books that supposedly aren't borrowed very much. This book was last checked out in July 2005). Stefanie's posts on Emerson led me to this book.

Fortunately, unless someone else has reserved it you can renew a book 6 times on-line before you have to take it back in and if it has been reserved and you haven't finished it you can reserve it at no charge! Wonderful. I'd never get through this lot in 3 weeks.

10 comments:

Dorothy W. said...

Six renewals! I wish I had that! Maybe I'd check out more books that way.

Kay said...

I'll be interested to hear what you think about "Bookseller of Kabul". I loved "Crow Lake". You have some other interesting ones listed. I'll have to add to my lists. And...6 renewals. For how long a period of time each? We let patrons renew once (and they can do it online) but that checkout period is 3 weeks. 6 weeks total. I always have a hard time time finishing what I check out. Ha!

BooksPlease said...

I haven't started the Bookseller yet - did you like it? I had second thoughts when I saw it was recommended by the Richard & Judy bookclub, but my friend really liked it.

The loan period is 3 weeks. Before the library had selfservice online you could phone and renew books 3 times (3 week loan period each time) so I couldn't believe it when I renewed a book 6 times on line before it said I'd exceeded the renewal limit. I took the book into the library and renewed it personally.

jenclair said...

I loved Crow Lake, too. I'm through with Matthew Pearl, however, having suffered through both The Dante Club and The Poe Shadow -- I now know that an interesting title and topic do not always translate into an interesting read.

danielle said...

We only get four renewals. I am always juggling library books. I tend to get in line before they actually have them, so there are usually people waiting for the book after me! I tend to recheck out books a lot for that reason! I am trying to gt Darkmans from ILL, but I am wondering if that is a good idea. If I only get three weeks to read it, I will have to concentrate on it solely. I've read good reviews, which is what made me request it. You'll have to post on Astrid and Veronika--I seem to be into Scandinavian literature lately, so I will be looking for more books. You have lots of interesting things checked out--don't you just love the library!!

GeraniumCat said...

Gosh, six renewals - I'm always amazed by how fast 6 weeks goes! That's 2 renewals only. It's such a performance getting to the library, so I always check out a huge pile.

Me too, loved Crow Lake, and there's a new one out The Other Side of the Bridge, but I haven't read that yet.

Tara said...

What a great list of books - and I'm also surprised about 6 renewals. I'd like to hear about The Edible Woman - I also enjoy Margaret Atwood but haven't read this one. I'm glad to see so many have enjoyed Crow Lake - I bought it on a whim.

BooksPlease said...

Thanks everyone for your comments.

Dorothy, we can borrow 15 books at a time and my husband lets me use his ticket as well.

Kay, that's the beauty of libraries - you can always borrow the book again.

Jenclair I was hoping The Dante Club would be better than The Poe Shadow.

Danielle Darkmans is 838 pages long and hurts my wrists holding it - I need a book rest. It's not the ideal format, certainly not one to carry round.

Geraniumcat I wish I'd bought The Other Side of the Bridge, I was in two minds about it when I saw it in the bookshop. I'd like to buy both that and Crow Lake as I enjoyed it so much.

Tara, I hope to get to The EdibleWoman soon. Oh dear, so many enticing books and not enough time even with 6 renewals.

Marg said...

6 renewals! Man...I thought we were lucky getting 3!

stefanie said...

yay for Emerson! I hope you enjoy him as much I have have been!