Thursday, September 13, 2007

R.I.P.Challenge update


When I decided to join the R.I.P. II Challenge I thought I'd only read one book for Peril the First. The book I chose is Edgar Allen Poe's Tales of Mystery and Imagination. So far I've read a few of the stories. I've always found short stories to be a bit of a let-down and I've found some of these a bit too short to create an eerie, scary atmosphere. Admittedly they are written in a very formal and somewhat objective style, but I'm not getting that feeling of nervous tension I experienced when reading Season of the Witch, which I wrote about here.














I picked up Ghostwalk by Rebecca Stott in the library, just on the strength of the cover and the title alone, usually an unwise basis for choosing a book. But I'm about halfway through and it's really good, a combination of mystery and historical investigation, with alchemy, Isaac Newton and a love story thrown in for good measure. It moves between the present and the 17th century.

So, I 've now decided to go on to Peril the First, which is to Read Four books of any length, from any subgenre of scary stories that you choose. In addition to Ghostwalk, I've just bought The Book of Air and Shadows, by Michael Gruber, which is described on the book cover as "a modern thriller that moves deftly between the 21st and 17th centuries", (I like the 17th century).

The fourth book is a book of faerie tales - Susanna Clarke's The Ladies of Grace Adieu and other stories, because I enjoyed her book Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell.

The little ginger cat in the photo is a bookmark that I'm fond of as it reminds me of our cat Lucy - her photo is somewhere over on the left.

No comments: