Thursday, October 18, 2007

Booking Through Thursday - Typography




You may or may not have seen my post at Punctuality Rules Tuesday, about a book I recently bought that had the actual TITLE misspelled on the spine of the book. A glaring typographical error that really (really!) should have been caught. So, using that as a springboard, today’s question: What’s the worst typographical error you’ve ever found in (or on) a book?

I've never seen such a glaring error, although there have been many times when I've come across small typos in books. I've not kept a record of them so I can't quote any here. Generally I find them irritating if it means I have to re-read a sentence to make sense of it, otherwise I might not even notice. Some are just amusing and don't bother me, although I do wonder why a spell check hasn't picked them up.

I do get upset about punctuation, when it's is used instead of its for example and read Eats, Shoot and Leaves by Lynne Truss with great pleasure. I used to write reports on rights of way and always had to double check that the l was always there in the word public - so embarrassing if it got missed out.

7 comments:

kat said...

Oh I see that 'it' and 'it's' error plenty of times. And yes, we've got to be careful about the 'l'. I'd die if I misspell it :D

gautami tripathy said...

I agree. Its and it's are glaring mistakes. I too wrote something to that effect.

heather (errantdreams) said...

Muahaha! The 'l' in 'public' error is definitely a good example. Mostly typographical errors bug me if they're frequent (because then they make me notice the writing and thus pull me out of the story) or if they interfere with reading comprehension.

bookinhand said...

I agree that it is irritating when you have to re-read a sentence or paragraph because of an error! Diane

Julia said...

I think that "it" and "it's" is definately one of the errors mistake I see or I've done.

--Deb said...

My sister's favorite example? A "Golden Book" she'd gotten for my niece when she was little, about Poky the Puppy (or something like that). The first sentence of the book? It started "Oky the puppy...."

Melanie said...

The 'l' in 'public' is also one I'm constantly watching out for, seeing as I work at a public library and once we nearly launched a new website service with that very error...fortunately I looked at it before it went live.