Saturday, October 06, 2007

Red Queen-itis


I feel I'm suffering from Red Queen-itis: "Now, here, you see, it takes all the running you can do, to keep in the same place. If you want to get somewhere else, you must run at least twice as fast as that!" (Through the Looking Glass - Lewis Carroll).

It's all my own fault, I know, but I'm struggling to read all the blogs I like to visit, read all the books I want to read and write about them, enter all my books into LibraryThing (still not finished) and do all the other things I want to do. When I was working full-time I thought that when I left work I 'd have lots of time for everything, but it just isn't like that at all. I can't think why but I popped into my local library this morning and borrowed two more books. I'd only intended to return some, but at least I returned four and came away with only two.

I've spent most of this afternoon just trying to catch up with reading blogs and I've so many books I want to read and posts to write and I still haven't written about Astrid and Veronika. That will have to wait until another day, now.

I didn't really believe other people when they said that after they left work they didn't know where the time went or how they ever had time to go to work. I do now!

6 comments:

jenclair said...

You have my sympathy (or empathy, as I'm in the same situation half the time). There is simply no way to get it all done. Blog reading is a blessing and a curse! It takes time to read all of them and then they give you more titles to read. Right now, I'm sticking to no new purchases. Must read what I have.

D said...

You'll just have to chill out

Ann Darnton said...

I know just what you mean and after a week where I have rushed from one thing to another without stopping I've had to do just that this morning having woken up with an attack of polyneuritus that will probably persist for the best part of a week. I wish I knew the answer, but I don't.

Tara said...

Sigh. I know *just* what you mean. Every now and then I take a few days 'off', but then there's so much to catch up on.

BooksPlease said...

It's good to know I'm not the only one!

Jenclair, good idea but I've lost count of how many times I've promised myself I'll read what I have before getting any more books.

D, if only I could!

Ann, I hope you're feeling better soon.

Tara, I think we'll have to accept we can't do it all. It's good to have a few days "off".

StuckInABook said...

There's a book by EM Delafield called 'Faster! Faster!' which is from the quotation visible in your picture. Definitely one you'd find appropriate today! Not the most cheery read, but with some very funny bits nonetheless.