Tuesday, November 06, 2007

Broken - One Resolution and One Pair of Glasses

A few weeks ago I resolved not to buy any more books for a while. My resolve lasted until this weekend when we went shopping. Unfortunately Waterstones sells coffee as well as books, so this was the cause of my downfall when we went in - just for a coffee. The coffee shop is upstairs and although I looked round at the books up there I resisted buying any. But on the way downstairs I decided to clean my glasses and succeeded in breaking them in two. I'm short sighted so I can see close up, but distance is terrible. I was OK in the shop and D left me there whilst he went into the Panasonic shop opposite to look at speakers for the TV.


Big mistake - one of the books that caught my eye in the 3 for 2 was Mary Lawson's The Other Side of the Bridge and as I loved Crow Lake I thought I'd just have a look. Well, of course I couldn't leave it there and when I saw Paul Auster's Travels in the Scriptorium (I loved Oracle Night) I had to look for a third book.

The Savage Garden by Mark Mills looked the ideal book, set in Tuscany (one of my favourite places) and a story of love, revenge and murder separated by 400 years. The Sunday Telegraph quote on the back cover clinched it "An intriguing puzzle, elegantly written ... the atmosphere of an Italian summer and of the mysterious garden are beautifully captured." What could be better for a November read? I've never read anything by Mark Mills, but my choice was confirmed when I got home and read Roberta's post as she recommended it.

Now I have to wait until next Tuesday for my glasses to be repaired and as my old glasses are so different I can't wear them and only have my computer glasses that are any good at all. They're great for close work, but the rest of the world is all blurred, out of focus and fuzzy round the edges and I feel a bit woozy and detached from everything - quite nice really.

4 comments:

heather (errantdreams) said...

Glad you're dealing with the broken glasses so well! My eyes are so bad that I could hardly function the last time mine broke. And oh dear do I understand about breaking that particular resolution...

Ann Darnton said...

Yes, I would be completely lost without my glasses as one eye is short-sighted and the other long, so without glasses to balance the situation I'm in a permanent dizzy state. I'll be interested to see what you think of the Mark Mills. I thought it was a good summer read but not anything more. I didn't know there was a new Auster out, I must look for it.

Lisa said...

There's no way I can go in a book store or a store of any kind that has books at all and not purchase something. I just don't have the resolve necessary. I console myself with the fact that my addiction could be so much worse!!

danielle said...

Oh it's so hard sometimes to pass up those three for the cost of two tables!! I have The Savage Garden--the setting does sound great. A friend read it and enjoyed it. I really need to give Mary Lawson's work a try, too! I hope you get your glasses soon.