Thursday, November 22, 2007

Connecting Words Booking Through Thursday



Okay, today’s question is going to be a little different. First, I’m posting it early because Thursday is Thanksgiving here in the U.S. and I’m going to be busy making and eating turkey as I’m sure some of you will also be, so I want to give everyone time to play. And two, because I’m basically going to link you through to somebody else’s blog with a question that I thought was pretty interesting.


Joanna and Brad are asking about “connecting words,” and they don’t mean conjunctions like “and” or “but.” No, what they’re looking for are unique, or treasured words that we’ve found out and about in our daily travels, words that might not be common usage, or often heard, but which struck a chord for some reason.
This is unorthodox, of course, but here’s the thing: if you link back to
Joanna’s post (which is where the rules are written), you’re eligible to win a prize. Not to mention joining in some great conversation about interesting words.

I'm not sure that I've understood what "connecting words" are. I'm struggling to think of words that are unique or treasured etc or words that may not be in common usage as well. I don't know how common these words are, but in the northwest of England where I'm from originally people use words such as "mither", eg "don't mither me" meaning don't bother/pester me and another one is "mardy" eg You're such a mardy" meaning you're so soft and weak, pathetic.

A word that I like just now is "pooter" as that's what my grandson used to call the computer before he could say the whole word. I use it regularly, eg "I'm going to use the pooter now".

7 comments:

GeraniumCat said...

It would be so sad if the wonderful diversity of dialect words were to disappear. Our culture is becoming so homogenised and americanised, yet we have so much to celebrate.

Joanna said...

Hi

Your words made me smile - mither and mardy are words I've not heard in a while.

Thanks for taking part in the project - it's been interesting to see how it unfolds.

It's also helped me to make connections with several UK bloggers (I'm based in Edinburgh) which has been an unexpected spin off benefit - most of the blog writers (and readers) that I come across are from the US.

Thanks for taking part

Joanna

Joanna

--Deb said...

Oooh . . . mither . . . I LIKE that!

gautami tripathy said...

Now I like pooter! It is so original.

Nan - said...

Oh, and there's Mr Pooter in Diary of a Nobody, one of my favorite books which I've read three times, I think! Do you know it? I just love it.

Geraniumcat spoke of your language becoming americanised, and I think it is true over here, too. We watch so much British tv that a lot of expressions and words are part of the everyday vocabulary. I don't think we used to say "pub" or "flat" and a thousand more. In fact, I am quite sure that a lot of us think in both Englishes even if we don't speak the words aloud, like "boot" and "bonnet" and "rug" and "jumper" - I know, I'm a hopeless Anglophile. :<)

BooksPlease said...

Thanks, everyone and welcome to Joanna - it's good to make connections. I have to admit that "mither" is one of my favourite words!

Nan, I must read Diary of a Nobody one day. It's really interesting that you watch British TV - so much on TV here is American - we're really cosmoplolitan these days!

Chris said...

We use pooter too! Kids make life interesting.