Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Cranford - Revisited and Nostalgic Memories

It was the second episode of Cranford on Sunday - see the BBC website here. There were so many scenes that were all totally unknown to me that it was as if I'd never read the book. I was able to watch it without my pre-conceived pictures intruding. It was a mixture of comedy and tragedy, as is life. See the Radio Times website here for more information on the cast and crew, location shots, photos and video clips. I thought Julia Sawalha was just right as Jessie Brown and I was pleased to read in the RT that she is in Lark Rise to Candleford, which is coming to the BBC next year. I read Lark Rise about 10 years or so ago when I was recovering from flu, so I'm looking forward to seeing it. With such a gap since I've read it I'll be able to watch it with fresh eyes - I'm not planning on reading again until I've watched the drama.

Thinking of Cranford has made me think back with nostalgia to my schooldays at Altrincham Grammar School for Girls. I remembered today that the house I was in at school was called Gaskell after Mrs Gaskell (the school houses were named after people with local connections). I got out some old school magazines and read them with great pleasure wondering what has happened to my old school friends. My school has its own website and I had a look tonight. It has changed almost beyond recognition, although the main school building is still the same. I wonder if they still have the same house system.


Cranford is the only book I've read by Elizabeth Gaskell and I must read some more. I'd like to read Mary Barton and Ruth, which sound very different books from Cranford, but as I've got Sylvia's Lovers I'll start with that.

3 comments:

Nan - said...

So, might you attend the Old Girls Christmas Dinner this year? Ah, go ahead. It would make a terrific blog entry. :<)

I love the Lark Rise books and am quite sure I read all of them.

BooksPlease said...

Ah, Nan I won't be there. For one thing I don't live near Altrincham now and for another it's my grandaughter's birthday that weekend, and I'll be seeing Father Christmas with her.

I loved Lark Rise to Candleford and Still Glides the Stream - I haven't read the other books - a treat in store.

Tara said...

I read Lark Rise in the last year or two and am happy to hear it will be televised! And hopefully it will come to the US....how often do I say that??? And why is your television programming so much better? Grumble.