Monday, November 12, 2007

From the Stacks Challenge

This Overdue Books Challenge is just what I need. The idea is that during the next three months you read 5 books from those you have already purchased, have been meaning to get to and haven't read before. No going out and buying new books. No getting sidetracked by the lure of the holiday bookstore displays.

This should help me keep to my resolve not to buy any more books for a while - until at least after Christmas. After all, I've got lots of books that I haven't read yet. My bookshelves are full too overflowingand the books are double stacked. There's just no more room for another bookcase and there are piles of books on the computer desk and next to the chairs in the lounge, in fact there are books everywhere. When I bought them it was because I wanted to read them, not just to sit on the bookshelves and on the floor. So here's my provisional list. It's provisional because I could easily choose others and I want to give myself the option of not reading the ones I've listed. That may sound strange, but the odd thing is that previously when I've decided I'll read this book and then that book I then find I resist reading the book. Contrary or what? I don't know. Anyway here's my list (in no particular order):

  1. Half a Yellow Sun by Chimamanda Adichie
  2. Needle in the Blood by Sarah Bowers
  3. The Testament of Gideon Mack by James Robertson
  4. Winter in Madrid by C J Sansom
  5. The Other Side of You by Salley Vickers

I'm currently reading Cranford by Mrs Gaskell and thought of including it for this challenge, but as I have read it before when I was at school it doesn't really qualify. I heard last night that the 5 part serial Cranford is starting next Sunday evening on BBC One. Although I did read it many years ago and remember the characters it's like reading a new book so maybe it does qualify for the Challenge after all.

7 comments:

Nan - said...

There's another challenge for all of next year which you might be interested in, as it is along the same lines.

http://tbrchallenge.blogspot.com/

You don't sign up until Dec. 15 but I spent part of yesterday getting together 12 books. It is right up my alley! (I think you say, 'street'?)

I haven't heard of one of the books on your list. It amazes me how much is out there to read.

Middle Ditch said...

You sound like my husband. He has books everywhere. All sorts, but mainly poetry. He is a poet himself with several books under his belt. He is also on You Tube. Just type his name David Caddy in the search box. Also if you like good books you might just like radio. Middle Ditch is a radio serial and it will be on World Radio Paris soon. Meanwhile it's also posted on the internet. I'll be back.

BooksPlease said...

Nan, yes that sounds right up my street! Which book haven't you heard of? Is there no end to unread books?

Middle Ditch, interesting. I'll look forward to hearing from you.

Tara said...

Hmmm, these do sound like good challenges for those of us trying to get through what is already on our shelves. I'm curious about the Cranford serial - I will have to read it before I (hopefully) see the program (someday, here in the US...).

Ann Darnton said...

I'm doing this challenge as well, because if I don't (and then give away the books I've read!) I'm going to end up buried beneath the books I haven't read. The tbrchallenge sounds like a good idea as well.

danielle said...

The Needle in the Blood is on my list, too. I am thinking of reading it over the holidays.

Sam said...

This is a very good challenge!! I have several books hanging around the house and I do have this rather annoying habit of buying yet more books! I need to go and find those books now! ;-)