Friday, November 16, 2007

Page 161 Meme


Tara and Nan have posted a little meme, which I thought I’d do as well.

Open up the book you’re currently reading to page 161 and read the sixth sentence on the page, then think of 5 bloggers to tag.

I’m currently reading My Cleaner by Maggie Gee and the sixth sentence on page 161 is:

‘Vanessa - I think I will not cook on Sunday.’

Vanessa an English creative writing tutor, has asked Mary, a Ugandan, who was previously employed as Vanessa’s cleaner, to live with her to help her son Justin through a 'depression'. The balance of power in the house is changing and here Mary tells Vanessa what she will and will not do. I’m enjoying this book, which reflects the prejudices and snobbery in our society.


I won’t tag anyone else to do this as maybe you’ve already done it. If not and you would like to do this please do, and let me know. I love knowing what people are reading.

6 comments:

David F said...

Just the one book on the go??????

BooksPlease said...

Weeeell, no, but I didn't look at the others and I'm further along in this one!!

BooksPlease said...

What about you - page 161, sixth sentence?

David F said...

OK - I'm not up to page 161 in Ian Rankin's 'A Good Hanging' yet, but the sentence is:

"The constable shrugged".

I'll have to wait and see what it's all about!

Nan - said...

That sentence seems to encapsulate the theme of the book. Isn't that amazing?! It made me laugh. This is a relationship that is fascinating; the idea of someone coming into one's house who isn't a friend, and who is left alone there to work among one's personal things.

Nan - said...

And to David, I really, really must begin reading Rankin. Alexander McCall Smith mentions stopping by his house in Edinburgh in one of his fictional books.