Thursday, November 29, 2007

Rolling - Booking Through Thursday




Do you get on a roll when you read, so that one book leads to the next, which leads to the next, and so on and so on?
I don’t so much mean something like reading a series from beginning to end, but, say, a string of books that all take place in Paris. Or that have anthropologists as the main character. Or were written in the same year. Something like that… Something that strings them together in your head, and yet, otherwise could be different genres, different authors…

I suppose my immediate answer to this is yes, very often. I do like to read another book by an author when I've enjoyed one - but that's not the question. Books in the same genre are also easy to think of - I took part in the R.I.P. Challenge, so that was all books with themes of mystery and imagination - I like those, not gory or horrific but books that keep you guessing and make you ponder. I like to vary my reading as well, so I do try to pick different types of books and different authors, ones I've never read before as well as old favourites.

But to answer the question, recently I find that some books I've read have a 1940s theme. I'm thinking of One Fine Day by Mollie Panter-Downes, set in England in 1946 just after the Second World War, Playing with the Moon by Eliza Graham lokking back after 60 years to the 1940s and The Great Fortune by Olivia Manning, set in Bucharest in 1939/1940 at the outbreak of the War. Even Crossing to Safety by Wallace Stegner fits in with that time and Surveillance by Jonathan Raban looks back to the 1940s as Augie writes about his wartime experiences as a refugee from Germany.

When I decided to read these books I had no idea that they were all linked like this.

6 comments:

heather (errantdreams) said...

I do tend to fall into brief theme-reading, although it's only occasionally intentional and doesn't usually last long.

Mack said...

Playing with the Moon and 99 other titles have been nominated 'Hidden Gems' in a World Book Day initiative to produce a shortlist of ten and ultimately one single Hidden Gem. Their website lets readers and book clubs vote for and comment on the titles. There are some really interesting books there. Good for Christmas ideas!

Here's the link

http://www.worldbookday.com/spreadtheword/

Chris said...

I'm not really a theme reader either.

stefanie said...

I like the idea of it, but I rarely manage it mostly, I think, because I have so many books in progress at once that I get distracted.

Jaimie said...

I do this too. Usually it is because I want to learn about a particular subject.

Dorothy W. said...

I'm not a theme reader at all, but it would be fun to try it out! I'm probably like Stefanie, though -- fairly easily distracted and on to the next new thing.