Thursday, December 20, 2007

Booking Through Thursday - And, the Nominees Are….





What fiction book (or books) would you nominate to be the best new book published in 2007?(Older books that you read for the first time in 2007 don’t count.)
What non-fiction book (or books) would you nominate to be the best new book published in 2007?(Older books that you read for the first time in 2007 don’t count.)
And, do “best of” lists influence your reading?
Looking through the list of books I’ve read this year I see that most of them are not new books published in 2007, so I don’t have much difficulty in deciding which ones I would nominate.

In the fiction category my nominations are:

1. Season of the Witch by Natasha Mostert, about mystery, magic, memory, full of psychological tension
2. Playing with the Moon by Eliza Graham, about memories, bereavement and the legacy of war
3. Speaking of Love by Angela Young, about misunderstandings, loss and above all love
4. Over by Margaret Forster about grief and death, heart-breakingly sad

My brief descriptions only give a flavour of the books and although they are all different it seems they have a lot in common – love and memories and loss.

I have only one nomination in the non-fiction category and that is:

The Verneys by Adrian Tinniswood – the lives of the Buckinghamshire Verney family in turbulent seventeenth century during the English Civil War – love, war and madness.


“Best of” lists are interesting and I suppose they do influence my reading to a certain extent. Since I started reading blogs, about two years ago now, I am more influenced by recommendations from bloggers, particularly when I know they have similar reading tastes to mine. I’m also influenced by books I see in bookshops and especially in my local library. Sometimes I prefer to pick up a book without knowing anything about it or the author and am often surprised by how much I enjoy it.

15 comments:

Marg said...

I am quite surprised by how many books I read this year that were published this year! I struggled to narrow my choices down.

Nithin said...

With Harry Potter 7 being the only recent book I've read, there aren't any books I can suggest, are there? :-)

Chris said...

I don't usually buy 'new' books so I'm like Nithin.

Rhinoa said...

I like the sound of Season of the Witch by Natasha Mostert so will look gofr some more reviews thanks for the recommendation.

somanybooksblog.com said...

The best of lists don't really influence my book choices either. They are interesting but more in a newsy sort of way.

gautami tripathy said...

Hey, you list sounds very interesting. I will check it out!

Here is my list.

Jaimie said...

Nice list! That is alot of 2007!

Jaimie said...

Great list! I am going to look for Season of A Witch!

Angela Young said...

What can I say, but a very big thank you for making Speaking of Love one of your best books of 2007. Thank you.

GeraniumCat said...

I still haven't got round to Season of the Witch - must do, you and several other people make it sound very good. I'm another with a lack of new books but I rely on lot on what other bloggers recommend these days.

Sya said...

I agree with the statement that blogs have more influence on reading choice. At least some bloggers are not as worried about talking only about certain books or looking supposedly "highbrow."

Melody said...

I haven't read any of the books you listed but they do sounds interesting, I will have to check them out.

Nan - said...

I guess this is a Booking Through Thursday I won't be doing. :<) Out of the 83 (so far) I have read this year, only one, a ya book by the mystery writer, Robert B. Parker, was published in 2007.

Callista said...

I just answered BTT on my site today. We have one book in common in our list.

Susan Helene Gottfried said...

Holy smoke, I don't think I've heard of any of those. And I thought I was up on what's new and great!