Thursday, December 13, 2007

Booking Through Thursday "Catalog"



"Do you use any of the online book-cataloguing sites, like Library Thing or Shelfari? Why or why not? (Or . . . do you have absolutely no idea what I’m talking to?? (grin))
If not an online catalog, do you use any other method to catalog your book collection? Excel spreadsheets, index cards, a notebook, anything?"

Today's Booking Through Thursday questions are spot on for me - as an ex-cataloguer, yes of course I catalogue my books. I did have most of my books in a database on my laptop but when this was stolen I was devastated. I had spent a long time entering in all the details of both my books and my husband's and did not have a saved copy. I expect the thief was surprised to see my catalogue.

When I found LibraryThing I decided to use that instead. I think it is very good; I like being able to have an image of the book and other members' listings and reviews. You can find photos of authors and suggestions for more reading. It's easy to add in books as LibraryThing does all the work for you using data imported from booksellers and a long list of libraries. You can edit the info on each book if you want, add your own comments and sort your catalogue however you like. So far, I haven't entered in all our books and add in a few more every so often. Although not long after I'd entered in a lot of books LibraryThing was unavailable for a few days and I thought perhaps I'd made a mistake using it. So when it came back on-line I printed off a copy of my entries.

If you haven't seen LibraryThing have a look. You can see who else has the same books as you and there is a blog as well. Currently there is a photo competition "Holiday Book Pile Contest" for photos of, well - piles of books you receive or give for Christmas (what else?).

You can add a RandomBooks thing to your blog in various ways too - mine is over on the left sidebar.

17 comments:

Julia said...

Hi - your pro of using the Library Thing, seem useful. Thanks for given me the pro about it :)

I'm sorry to hear that your laptop was stolen and that you lost all your database of all the catalog books in there. I just hope maybe you're able to remember some of the stuff from that old database :)

Happy BTT ! Here Mine!

Melody said...

I can understand how you felt when you lost your laptop! I agree LibraryThing is a useful tool for cataloguing our books, and it's also a bonus that we are able to view those wonderful bookcovers too.

Happy BTT!

Sam said...

I adore LibraryThing!! As a Librarian I first decided against it thinking that it was a bit geeky!! But now I have a far better handle on what I actually have on my shelves!!

I have even signed up for SantaThing, so I am eagerly awaiting my surprise book!

GeraniumCat said...

I just knew you'd like this question! And yes, the Random Books thing is great fun, I love those glimpses of other people's libraries (and that you can look at their whole library if it's public on Library Thing).

Marg said...

You have reminded me that I really should do a backup. I would be devestated if I lost my reading lists!

3M said...

I'm in love with LibraryThing.

My username is 3M3m.

Chris said...

I'm a LT user too. I like looking at the virtual shelves.

heather (errantdreams) said...

I do so love the sound of LT. I just know I'd never be able to keep up with remembering to enter new books!

gautami tripathy said...

I do use LT for enetering my books. I can't add ALL my books. Only the ones I keep buying!

Booking through Cataloguing

Stephanie said...

When I found Library Thing last year, I went ahead and purchased the life-time subscription. Figured I would use it!! I'm gradually adding my books. But with the amount I have, it could take a while!!

Happy Thursday!!

Jaimie said...

Sorry about the laptop! How devastating! I knew every single book I woned until we had a fire at our house and although we saved the house, many books were damaged or destroyed. It was like losing friends!

Danielle said...

How annoying to lose that database and all your work!! I like LT and it is great to be able to access it from wherever. I also like to be able to search tags--it has been so helpful when I am making lists--I only wish I had used even more specific tags. I still have lots of books to add, but I am usually lazy about doing that. Perhaps when I am on break I can do more.

Debi said...

Hello!

I'm stopping by to let you know that I've set up a separate blog for the What's in a Name? challenge. I hope you'll be able to stop by once in while to see what contests are going on and to leave links to any reviews you write. Thanks again for joining!

--Annie

Dorothy W. said...

How hard to have your laptop stolen! I haven't tried Library Thing, not being much of a cataloguer, but someday I'll get inspired. I suppose part of the reason I haven't yet used it is that I don't have THAT many books -- they aren't hard to keep track of. But this situation will change over time ...

Table Talk said...

I think the social side of Library Thing is one of the aspects that appeals to me most. Especially if there have been very few other readers of a book I will often go over to their sites and see if there are other novels I might like to read based on what appear to be similar interests. And if those people have a blog, then that is often how I discover new people to visit.

BooksPlease said...

I thought a lot of us would use Library Thing!

Jamie, being burgled is horrible but having a fire is just too terrible for words.

Danielle my tags are vague too!

Heather, Guatami,Stephanie and Dorothy, it's very time-consuming.

Thanks Annie, via Deb.

Table Talk - me too.

Anonymous said...

Hi there,

Thanks so much for using LibraryThing! Would you mind if I used some of your blog posting on our Buzz Page? (If you don't want me to use it, just email me: lindsey@librarything.com)

Cheers,
Lindsey, Assistant LT Librarian and fellow bookworm