Saturday, December 01, 2007

November Round Up of Books

Another month of good reading. I have already written posts about most of the books I finished reading in November. Clicking on the titles links to my posts.

Playing with the Moon by Eliza Graham - an excellent book, looking back over 60 years.
Lewis Carroll: a biography by Morton Cohen - long and detailed.
The Sidmouth Letters by Jane Gardam - good (better than I expected).
Remainder by Tom McCarthy - mixed feelings about this one, thought provoking.
Cranford by Elizabeth Gaskell - a very enjoyable read, better than the TV series for me.
The Great Fortune by Olivia Manning (the first in her Balkan trilogy) - set in Bucharest during the 'phoney war' period of the Second World War.

Posts to follow on these books that I've also finished:

Surveillance by Jonathan Raban - an interesting look at modern life.
The Testament of Gideon Mack by James Robertson - a thought provoking book.

Currently I'm reading:


My Cleaner by Maggie Gee. I've nearly finished this about Vanessa, English, middle class and Mary, Ugandan who used to be Vanessa's cleaner.

All Passion Spent by Vita Sackville-West. I've read the first chapters of this story of an aging British aristocrat. This is the book chosen by Karen for her new book group.

Winter In Madrid by C J Sansom. I've just started reading this. I chose it because I read with great enjoyment his three earlier books, Dissolution, Dark Fire and Sovereign, historical mysteries featuring Matthew Shardlake, a lwyer-cum-detective. I hadn't realised this book was set in the 1940s when I decided to read it - yet another book from that period.

3 comments:

Nan - said...

I have All Passion Spent ordered through the library. I've read it before and really like it. Have you seen the televised version? It was so strange because I had been thinking about this book a short while before I visited Karen's blog and read about her new book group.

BooksPlease said...

Nan, I didn't see the televised version - I wish I had, I'm enjoying the book.

Danielle said...

I need to start All Passion Spent--I have it on my night stand. Perhaps tonight. Strangely the last time I was at the library I saw the movie on the shelf. I didn't check it out, though, as I like to read the book first.