Wednesday, February 06, 2008

Book Meme - Page 123

Sam at The Life and Times of Me! has tagged me for this meme. The rules are:
  1. Pick up the nearest book (of at least 123 pages)
  2. Open the book to page 123
  3. Find the fifth sentence
  4. Post the next three sentences
  5. Tag five people

The nearest book was The Moon and Sixpence by W. Somerset Maugham, which I’d just finished reading.

This passage on page 123 tells of Stroeve’s reaction to his wife's death:

“He was absolutely exhausted. His volubility had left him at last, and he sank down wearily on my sofa. I felt that no words of condolence availed, and I let him lie there quietly.”

The Moon and Sixpence was inspired by the life of Paul Gauguin. This quote from the back cover sums it up:

The Moon and Sixpence is at once a satiric caricature of Edwardian mores and a vivid portrayal of the mentality of genius.”

More about this book will follow in another post.

I do find it difficult to tag other people and I know that a variation of this meme has done the rounds a few months ago. So if you're reading this and want to do the meme please consider yourself tagged. If you do please let me know.

1 comment:

Danielle said...

I've been trying to mooch this book for a while, but I think I'm just going to have to buy a copy! I'm looking forward to hearing more about it!