Thursday, February 21, 2008

Format - Booking Through Thursday



Booking Through Thursday's question this week is - All other things (like price and storage space) being equal, given a choice in a perfect world, would you rather have paperbacks in your library? Or hardcovers? And why?

In a perfect world I’d have both.

I like reading hardbacks (hardcovers) although their weight is often a problem if they are long books, both in carrying them home from the library and also when reading, particularly when reading in bed. These days some hardbacks are just as liable to fall apart as paperbacks, but on the whole I do think that last longer. Some paperbacks have those covers that curl open once you start reading and some are so tightly bound that you have to break the spine to keep the book open whilst you read it. But a paperback is much easier to carry around and I like to take a book with me just in case there’s an opportunity to read.

11 comments:

Melody said...

I'm with you, Margaret. :)

Happy BTT!

Maree said...

Yes; paperbacks are so much easier but I know what you mean about the ones that are too tightly bound. Very frustrating.

Nithin said...

I prefer paperbacks. But, yeah... those tightly bound books can be really frustrating.

Happy BTT! :-)

Marianne Arkins said...

Yep... feeling much the same way! Have a great Thursday.

Happy BTT :-)

StuckInABook said...

I went for the "both" answer at first too!

I have noticed this week, reading a modern hardback at work, how much more cumbersome they are.

Jaimie said...

I prefer paperbacks but have plenty of hardbacks as well!

GeraniumCat said...

Gosh, do you break the spine? I can never bear to. It probably comes of a childhood spent reading the stock off the shelves in our shop - it was permitted, but only if you could read a book without it showing. I still read that way.

BooksPlease said...

Geraniumcat, I never used to break the spine and I try very hard not to these days, but I can't read a paperback without at least creasing the spine.

gautami tripathy said...

I can't even think about breaking the spine!

Booking through format

Table Talk said...

I hadn't thought about the reading in bed question, but of course it is a real issue. And then there's the issue of reading in the bath! Perhaps we'd better not go there?

Kay said...

Truly, I like hardcovers best and weirdly I am enjoying Large-Type books a lot now. LOL Maybe not so weirdly as I scan through my bi-focals. Anyway, I think I like the size of the hardcovers, but I do still read some paperbacks. I prefer the larger ones. Maybe because I don't read in bed. My favorite spot is a comfy chair with a good light.