Sunday, February 10, 2008

Olivia Manning - The Balkan Trilogy

I have just discovered that The Balkan Trilogy is being broadcast on BBC Radio 4 as Fortunes of War. Today was the third in a series of three programmes, two programmes allotted to each book in the trilogy. It seems that Olivia Manning is no longer an outmoded author. The dramatisation is good, with Joanna Lumley taking the part of Harriet, looking back on events and Honeysuckle Weeks as young Harriet. Both are just right for the part.

I’ve read the first two books The Great Fortune and The Spoilt City, but not yet read the third book Friends and Heroes. I am waiting for it to be delivered, so in the meantime this is just perfect. I’ll be able to listen to it in the next two episodes before I get to the book.

2 comments:

Kay said...

Isn't Honeysuckle Weeks the young woman who plays Samantha Stewart in Foyle's War? Love her name (actually love both her name and her character's name).

BooksPlease said...

Kay, yes Honeysuckle Weeks is in Foyle's War (I love that programme). I'd like to see more of her work, so I was pleased to hear her in this play.