Sunday, February 24, 2008

Sunday Scenes

OutsideI looked out of the window first thing this morning and saw these four pheasants. One was motionless in the middle of the field watching the other three as they walked in procession along the boundary fence. I grabbed my camera, and this is the best shot I could get before they disappeared beyond my view. I'm sorry that they don't show up very well.


Later in the morning D said he wondered what people were looking at opposite our window (we get quite a few hikers walking by at the weekend) and then realised it was this cat sitting staring at the field. The pheasants were long gone, but the hedge is a haven for mice and voles, as well as birds and the cats are always on patrol, but we've never seen one sitting on top of the hedge before.

Inside
I decided it was about time I sorted out the pile of bedside books, which were in piles on the floor. Some of these I've read, some I've started and others are ones I want to read. Sometimes I can't decide what to read which is why there are so many in these piles - 19 books! I am only actually reading Hearts and Minds at the moment, and Virginia Woolf's book of Essays, and Half of a Yellow Sun, but they are downstairs.



From left to right they are:

Dead Language, by Peter Rushforth
I Capture the Castle by Dodie Smith
Author, Author by David Lodge
Mysterious Wales by Chris Barber
The Friday Night Knitting Club by Kate Jacobs
W. Somerset Maugham Collection
Miss Ranskill Comes Home by Barbara Euphan Todd
The Genealogist’s Internet by Peter Christian
The Last Town on Earth by Thomas Mullen
The Death of Dalziel by Reginald Hill
Hearts and Minds by Rosy Thornton
Florence and Tuscany a Dorling Kindersley travel guide
The Adventures of Tom Sawyer by Mark Twain
The Book of Air and Shadows by Michael Gruber
Back from the Brink, autobiography of Paul McGrath
The Innocent Man by John Grisham
Tales of Mystery and Imagination by Edgar Allan Poe
The Sound of Paper by Julia Cameron
The Man in the Picture by Susan Hill

5 comments:

Les said...

I haven't read any of those except I Capture the Castle, which I thought was very good! Have fun choosing. :)

BooksPlease said...

I Capture the Castle is one that I have read. It's still in the pile because I want to write about it! I loved it.

StuckInABook said...

Just reviewed Hearts and Minds! ICTC is wonderful, as is Miss Ranskill. I too have this problem with bedside piles of books - about five piles now, and whenever I have to open the bottom drawer of my chest of drawers, they all fall over.

stefanie said...

What a nice view you have out your window! I used to pile books I wanted to read next to the bed too. Then I had so many tall piles that it was hard to get into bed. Now I have a large basket next to the bed and only books I am actually reading reside there.

BooksPlease said...

Stuckinabook, I've just finished Hearts and Minds, which I'll write about soon. The piles of booiks meant I couldn't open either the wardrobe or the bedside cabinet drawers without moving the piles!

Stefanie, now a basket is a good idea - easier to move maybe, depending on how many books I'd pile in it.