Wednesday, March 12, 2008

How to Cross the Road - Hanoi Style

Carla and I left work last year. Whilst I’ve stayed at home she’s been travelling the world– she’s been to New York, Niagara, Chicago, Flagstaff, Yosemite, San Francisco, Las Vegas, Los Angeles, Cook Island, New Zealand, Australia (Great Barrier Reef etc), Tasmania, Whitesunday Islands, Bangkok, Koh Tao – diving in the Gulf of Thailand, Cambodia, to mention just a few places. I’m sure I missed out loads. I’ve been seeing the world through Carla’s eyes and her blog.

At present she’s in Hanoi and her latest entry is about the road crossings there. She says that the only reason you go for the crossings is that you stand out as less of a target ,,, the mantra to remember is "keep the same pace, never stop (it confuses the drivers) and always imagine a big white forcefield around you… “

I’m never going to complain again about the traffic here after seeing this.

3 comments:

Tara said...

That is seriously terrifying. Would you be able to share Carla's blog? I'd love to know more about her trip.

Nan - said...

It is fascinating how some love to travel and others love to stay home. I don't think I could take in all those places in such a short time. Maybe one a year would work for me. Some of them I wouldn't go to for love or money. I guess I'm a British Isles or Ireland or Canada girl at heart.

BooksPlease said...

Tara, Carla's blog is www.concretechaos.org/party/ - you have to register to read it. She is on her way home and will be back in the UK in April.

Nan, Carla spent quite a long time in Australia, but I know what you mean - I couldn't face all that packing up and moving on and long train journeys etc.