Tuesday, March 11, 2008

The Pulitzer Project


I’ve decided to join the The Pulitzer Project. The beauty of this is that it’s a project not a challenge and I expect that it will take me a long time. The Pulitzer Prizes are awarded in 21 categories, but this project only relates to the Fiction Prize, which is awarded for distinguished fiction by an American author, preferably dealing with American life. It has been awarded since 1948 replacing the Pulitzer Prize for the Novel, which was awarded between 1918 and 1947. The 2008 Prizes will be announced on 7 April. Some years no awards were made but this is still a long list of books. So far I have only read:

1940 - The Grapes of Wrath, John Steinbeck
1972 - Angle of Repose, Wallace Stegner
1988 – Beloved, Toni Morrison
1995 - The Stone Diaries, Carol Shields
1999 - The Hours, Michael Cunningham
2006 – March, Geraldine Brooks

Apart from Angle of Repose I read these books before I started writing my blog. I wrote about Angle of Repose here. I read The Grapes of Wrath whilst at school, so I may have to re-read this sometime. The rest I’ve read over the last two years apart from Beloved (which I loved), which I read about 10 years ago. I have a copy of The Color Purple by Alice Walker, so I think I’ll read that first and it will fit into the What’s In a Name? Challenge as a book with a colour in its title. I’m already reading Half of a Yellow Sun by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie, so that will be two books in that category.

8 comments:

Lisa said...

I know I've seen this project around the blogosphere, but I guess I had forgotten about it. Thanks for reminding me about it. I do like the fact that it's not a challenge with a deadline. I printed off the list and was surprised to find that I'd read eight of them. I have many more in my tbr pile. So, I think I'll join you!

Danielle said...

I'd love to read the Pulitzers, too. I imagine I've not read many of them--I'll have to look at the list. I've been trying to make my way through the Modern Library 100 Best Novels list in the same way you'll work on this project, but last year I read very few of them. I need to try and do better this year...too many books and too little time!

stefanie said...

What a great idea for a project. I've got too many projects as it is, but I will certainly enjoy following along as you read!

Lezlie said...

I will be falling prey to this one soon, also. It seems I will be in very good company! :-)

Lezlie

BooksPlease said...

Lisa, I saw this a while ago too. I was surprised I'd read six and that I'd thought they were such great books (I shouldn't have been surprised that they're good!)I hope you'll join in.

Danielle, I've seen your reviews on the Modern Library books and was tempted to have a look too - as you say too many books and too little time!

Stefanie, I know what you mean - I'm always tempted to do more.

Lezlie,I'm looking forward to reading your reviews.

Table Talk said...

Can I recommend as a starting point either Jhumpa Lahiri's short story collection, "Interpreter of Maladies' or Richard Russo's 'Empire Falls', both brilliant books. They do seem to make a better job of selecting a good book for the Pulitzer than we do for the Booker.

BooksPlease said...

Thanks Table Talk. The library has 'Interpreter of Maladies', so I'll reserve that next.

gautami tripathy said...

I am currently re-reading Grapes of Wrath. It seems I have forgotten it!