Wednesday, March 05, 2008

Reading in March



This month I’ll be reading a selection of Robert Frost’s poems. I don’t read a lot of poetry but Frost is one of my favourite poets. I think that poetry is really better if you listen, rather than read it, or recite it out loud. Most memorably, some years ago I went to a poetry reading by Seamus Heaney who not only read his own poems but also some of Frost’s. I know some of the poems in this selection but would like to memorise some more as part of the Celebrate the Author Challenge, Frost’s birthday was 26 March.

I’m part way into Half of a Yellow Sun by Chimamanda Adichie, set in Nigeria in the 1960s and have just started to read Dante’s Divine Comedy. I would also like to read The Innocent Man by John Grisham. This is a move away from Grisham’s usual fiction into non-fiction about the wrongful conviction of Ron Williamson. I really should have started to read Daniel Isn’t Talking by Marti Leimbach, as it’s the next book up for discussion at my local reading group (next Wednesday). This is a novel about an autistic child based on the author’s experiences with her son. I think it may be a bit challenging, I know very little about autism.


Ambitiously, I’d also like to start reading these books - Victor Hugo's Les Miserables, D H Lawrence's Selected Stories and Barbara Euphan Todd's Miss Ranskill Comes Home. They’re all library books. I just hope I’ll be able to renew them! It would be good to have an extra brain and another pair of eyes, or only need to sleep every other night and then I’d stand more chance of reading all the books I’d love to read.

3 comments:

Angela Young said...

About autism ... you might be interested in this site, which reviews books and does interviews with writers in order to raise money for autistic people. And it's very informative about autism.

http://www.bfkbooks.com/node/1

Danielle said...

I really like Robert Frost, too, and I am not at all a poetry person! I'm happy to see Les Miserables in your pile. Mine is on my night stand ready to go. I just hope I can keep up a good pace with it. I see a Persephone book peeking out there--I'm in the mood for one of those, too!

Lisa said...

I am determined to find a way to have more hours in a day so that I can do all the things that I want to do and read all the books that I want to read! There has to be a way. :)