Tuesday, March 04, 2008

Red Pepper Soup

I enjoy making and eating (or is it drinking?) soup. This is one of my favourites. It's very easy and quick to make and very tasty too.



My recipe is one I've adapted from The Soup Bible.The Soup Bible is a bautifully illustrated book, packed with over 200 recipes from all around the world. I'd never have thought of making soup from red peppers before.





Ingredients
For 2 servings

1 onion, chopped
2 red peppers, seeded and chopped. I use the long thin pointy ones that are mild and sweet - not at all hot.
Olive oil
1 garlic clove, crushed
1 ½ tablespoons tomato purée
1 pint vegetable stock
Juice of one lime
Salt and freshly ground black pepper



Heat a little olive oil in a saucepan and soften the onion and peppers.
Add the garlic, tomato purée salt & pepper and stock.
Bring to the boil and then simmer, covered for about 10 minutes.
Cool slightly and then purée – I use a hand blender
Add the lime juice. Reheat.

The original recipe includes 1 small red chilli, sliced, but I like it without. Together with some wholemeal bread (I make it in a breadmaker) this makes a filling lunch.

7 comments:

Marg said...

A few winters ago I was making a beautiful roasted red pepper soup! It's not quite soup weather here, but I should bear it in mind for when it is!

Les said...

This soup sounds fabulous. I have a Braun hand-blender, too, and use it with a lot of my soup recipes. Check out my cooking blog, if you like. :)

BooksPlease said...

Marg, there's a recipe for roasted red pepper soup in The Soup Bible as well - I must try it. It's certainly soup weather here just now - no snow, but a frosty morning here today.

Les, I've been over to your cooking blog - lovely photos and recipes. Funny we should both write about our Braun hand blenders!

Les said...

Well, I can't imagine cooking without mine! And it's one of the few appliances I use that doesn't take up valuable counter space. :)

Glad you enjoyed my cooking blog. I need to get crackin' and get some new recipes posted.

Ted said...

That sounds really good! I'll have to try it.

Thaleia said...

The Soup Bible is one of my favorite cookbooks... you can find so many nice and inventive combinations in there... I confess I should be part of Cookbooks Anonymous, 'cause I'm an addict. I even bought two new bookcases to store all my cookbooks in...

BooksPlease said...

Ted, let me know if you do!

Thaleia, we had the Genoese Minestrone from the Soup Bible yesterday - lovely. I should be in Cookbooks Anon too, I love reading about cooking and food and cooking as well.