Thursday, April 17, 2008

After Work Cookbook

After Work, by W H Smith, published by Octopus Publishing Group Ltd 1999.

I’ve had this book a few years and have made several of the recipes. As the title suggests all the recipes are for making quick meals from fresh ingredients plus some storecupboard items. Each recipe is illustrated with a photograph. Some dishes need more preparation than others, but none of them are difficult to make – just what you need at the end of a busy day.

There’s a good mix of recipes divided into sections:

· ‘light bites’ – sandwiches, salads and soups
· ‘international flavours’ – a selection from around the world – pasta, stir-fry, curry, chow mein etc
· ‘quick fish dishes’ – fish cakes, fish casserole etc
· ‘’meat and poultry for dinner’ – family meals and special occasions
· ‘sweet endings’ – using fruit and chocolate eg double chocolate brownies

Today I made Two-Tomato Mozzarella Salad, one of my favourite recipes from this book. Really all you do is put it all together and eat it. It only takes a few minutes to prepare.


For 4 people you need:

· 500g fresh plum tomatoes sliced – or as many as you like
· chopped oregano
· 375g mozzarella cheese sliced – or use as much or you like - buffalo mozzarella is the nicest
· 12 sun-dried tomatoes preserved in oil and cut into strips. I don’t cut them up unless they are very large – again you can use as many as you want
· fresh basil leaves
· salt and pepper – I use rock or sea salt and freshly ground black pepper

For the dressing, whisk the following ingredients together in a small bowl or put in a screw top jar and shake well to combine:

· 5 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
· 3 tablespoons oil from the sun-dried tomatoes
· 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
· ¼ garlic clove crushed - I usually use a whole clove
· pinch of sugar

1. Arrange the plum tomato slices in a single layer on a large plate and sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste together with the oregano.
2. Arrange the slices of mozzarella on top of the sliced tomatoes and tuck in the sun-dried tomatoes between them.
3. Scatter the basil leaves over the top and drizzle on the dressing.

Sometimes we just have this with maybe some crusty bread. Today we added some Parma ham, pasta shells with green pesto and asparagus tips – simply delicious.

Also posted on Soup's On! blog.

4 comments:

Lezlie said...

That looks so good! I don't think I've seen one before that uses sundried tomatoes. I better print this post out! :-)

Lezlie

Lisa said...

Oh my goodness that looks and sounds so good. When's dinner?

heather (errantdreams) said...

Ohhh yummy. Thank you for posting the lovely photo and making me very very hungry. *grin*

I've finally gotten a digital camera, so I can start adding photos to my cookbook reviews!

Tara said...

This looks wonderful! I love dishes like this. Happy blogiversary!