Monday, April 07, 2008

Oh Yes - another Challenge - Soup's On!

This Challenge is hosted by Ex Libris (Sharon). It runs from April 1, 2008 to March 31, 2009. Sharon writes: All you have to do is select six cookbooks to read (enough to give an overview of the book) and make at least one of the recipes. These can be any cookbooks of your choice - brand new ones, old stand-bys that you can't live (or cook) without, or even heirlooms. You do not have to decide on the cookbooks ahead of time (unless you want to, of course).

I love cooking, that's my reason for joining this challenge. I'm always buying and looking at cookbooks, and watching TV cookery programmes. I've only written a couple of posts on cooking, so this is a great way to write more. I'm not sure yet which books I'll be writing about between now and the end of March next year but it could be these:

The Ration Book Diet by Mike Brown, Carol Harris and C J Jackson, because I bought it a few months ago, scan read it and thought oh yes I must cook some of these recipes, but haven't done so yet. It's full of information about the Second World War years in Britain, photos and cartoons from the Forties as well as beautiful modern photos.

The Good Food magazine 101 Meals For Two. This is a great little book and I've made a few of the recipes, but lots more to try out.

How To Eat by Nigella Lawson. She's one of my favourite TV cooks and I love this book, even though it has no photos.

Great British Menu from the first TV show of that name. Extravagant ingredients, but fantastic food.

After Work, a WHSmith publication. Another favourite book with quick recipes that work.

The Country Kitchen by Jocasta Innes. I've had this book for years; it's full of information about cooking with cream, butter, game - trussing and plucking a pheasant, making raised pies, terrines and galantines and preserving food. I haven't ventured much yet out of this book, but I'd love to have a go.


I'm looking forward to reading all the other reviews!

3 comments:

Emily Barton said...

Well, now, I can't wait to read your posts throughout this challenge. Funny how so many of us love Nigella Lawson.

BooksPlease said...

Emily, of all her books I think I like this one the most.

Les said...

I've thought about joining this challenge, but I know with spring and summer gardening ahead, I won't get to the challenges I've already signed up for. However, I will challenge myself to post more entries on my cooking blog! I've gotten a bit lax about trying new recipes and my cooking blog suffers from my laziness. :) Good luck with the challenge!