Wednesday, April 02, 2008

Reading Notes for April

I’ve been sorting out my books – the fiction, that is. I had arranged it an a-z author order, but it had got rather out of hand as I haven’t got enough bookcases. They are double shelved and because it’s a bit difficult to get to the back whenever I bought a new book I’d tried to slot it in to the right place but it had all got higgledy-piggledy. So, I decided to separate the books I haven’t read yet and put them in a separate bookcase. I really shouldn’t buy any more books for a while, now I can actually see how many unread books I own. I'm planning to restrict my reading in April to these books - well that's my aim, but as I really like to read what I want when I want, this could all be changed.

The books listed below are all books that fit into various reading Challenges. For the Celebrate the Author Challenge I'm going to choose a book by Ian Rankin, whose birthday it is on 28 April, – I have four to choose from:

The Black Book
The Hanging Garden
Resurrection Men
A Good Hanging and Other Stories

For the Chunkster Challenge I’ve just started to read C J Sansom’s Revolution. It’s 546 pages long, so it easily meets the criteria of being 450 pages. I’ve only had this book a few days, but I’m bringing it forward over other to-be-read books, as I’m an avid fan of Sansom’s books.

For the Heart of the Child Challenge I’m reading The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson-Burnett. I still have the copy I had as a child, now yellowing and a bit battered, but still in one piece. In the description at the front of the book the editor writes: “Girls like it most, and between the ages of nine and fourteen – and, be warned, keep your copy carefully. You will want to go back and read it over and over again.”



I’m also reading Victor Hugo’s Les Miserables. I suppose could add this in to the Chunkster Challenge, as it’s 1200 pages without counting the appendices. There’s a blog Introducing the Parisian Underworld where we can discuss the book and there’s no time limit on this!

For the Once Upon a Time Challenge I'd like to get on with reading Dante’s The Divine Comedy or at least The Descent into Hell.

Then there is Our Longest Days, real diaries from the Second World War period, that I’m itching to read. I have started that too.

It will be a miracle if I actually stick to any reading plan, but at least these books are all ones I already own. Now if I could stop myself going to the library and borrowing more books that would be good, but yesterday I returned two books and borrowed yet another one – at least it was only one.

8 comments:

Lezlie said...

You have "Revelation" already!! I'm sooooo jealous! I love the Shardlake books. I just checked on Amazon, and it looks like it will be available here in the US on May 6. Perfect patio reading! I can't wait to see your review!!

Lezlie

Lisa said...

I know what you mean about reading plans. I try to make a plan, but I often get sidetracked by something else that catches my eye. Good luck with your plans for April. I'll be rooting for you. I love the cover of your copy of The Secret Garden. I wish I still had my books from childhood. I don't know what happened to them. :(

BooksPlease said...

Lezlie, "Revelation" was a late Christmas present from my husband - he had pre-ordered it for me.

Lisa, thanks. I've only got a few books from my childhood - I wish I had more.

StuckInABook said...

Our Longest Days sounds great - can't wait to see what you think of it, when you get to it.

By the by - love the new picture at the top of your blog, reminds me of home.

Les said...

I have an old, tattered copy of The Secret Garden, too. Oh, how I loved that book when I was a child! I need to make time to read some of these favorites from my childhood:

The Secret Garden
The Laura Ingalls Wilder books
Anne of Green Gables and the rest of the series
My Side of the Mountain
The Phantom Tollbooth

BooksPlease said...

Stuckinabook, thanks. The photo is of the field further down the road. It was taken last year - the cattle aren't out in the fields yet round here.

Les, I didn't read any of those other books as a child - obviously I missed out. The Secret Garden is proving as good today as it was in my childhood!

Nan - said...

Margaret, there's a nice piece I heard on the radio a while back about The Secret Garden. You may read it or listen here:

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/
story.php?storyId=19204506

Carl V. said...

I love that old version of A Secret Garden. Beautiful!