Tuesday, April 22, 2008

A - Z Favourites

Simon at Stuck in a Book has come up with a great idea A - Z Favourites. The idea is to pick a favourite author for each letter of the alphabet, and the accompanying novel. This set me thinking and although it’s practically impossible for me to decide who my favourite authors are I decided to make it a bit easier and only considered books I’ve read in the last few years. This means leaving out favourite authors such as Jane Austen, Charlotte Bronte, Wilkie Collins, and Charles Dickens. (There’s the start of another list.)



ATWOOD, MARGARET – Alias Grace
BROOKS, GERALDINE – March
CUNNINGHAM, Michael – The Hours
DU MAURIER, DAPHNE - Rebecca
ELIOT, GEORGE -Middlemarch


FRANKLIN, ARIANA – Mistress of the Art of Death
GAARDER, JOSTEIN – The Solitaire Mystery
HARDY, Thomas – The Woodlanders
ISHIGURO, KAZUO - Remains of the Day
JAMES, P D – Original Sin
KINGSOLVER, BARBARA – The Poisonwood Bible
LIVELY, PENELOPE – The Photograph

McEWAN, IAN -Atonement
NARAYAN, R K – The Painter of Signs
OLSSON, LINDA – Astrid and Veronika

PULLMAN, PHILIP – His Dark Materials
QUINDLEN, ANNA – Blessings (the only book I’ve read recently/ever by an author whose name begins with ‘Q’)
REEVE, PHILIP – Here Lies Arthur
SANSOM, C J – Revelation


TOLSTOY, LEO – War and Peace
U – none
VICKERS, SALLEY – Instances of the Number 3
WOOLF, VIRGINIA – Mrs Dalloway
X - none
YOUNG, ANGELA – Speaking of Love
ZAFON, CARL RUIZ – The Shadow of the Wind (the only book I’ve read recently/ever by an author whose name begins with Z)

10 comments:

Paula Weston said...

What a great list.

I've read a few of those you've selected, and will keep the rest for future reference. (Because I trust your judgement!)

StuckInABook said...

Good idea, to keep it to recent reads, Margaret - and glad you enjoyed it, the idea seems to have spread throughout the blogs!

Nice to see Rebecca there, and Speaking of Love. If EM Delafield weren't so brilliant, Daphne du Maurier would have made my list.

BooksPlease said...

Paula, I'd be interested in seeing your list. I hope you enjoy the ones I've read.

Simon, I could easily do an alternative list - the hard part was deciding which ones to select. I agree about E M Delafield, but haven't read her books for years.

Lezlie said...

Nice choices! And, of course, I'm quite partial to C.J. Sansom and Ariana Franklin. :-)

Lezlie

Lisa said...

Great list. I'd like to do this, but I'm afraid it would take me forever!

Angela Young said...

Thank you for including Speaking of Love ... .

Alison Boon said...

An excellent idea. I think that will be tomorrow's project, inbetween the knitting that is.

Danielle said...

I thought of keeping it to recent reads, too, but found I hadn't read enough books by authors of certain letters! :) I think I've read Alias Grace at lest three times. I almost put that one, but I really liked The Blind Assassin. Great list.

joanna said...

Great list, so many to add to my future list! I love finding out what people's favorite books are!

litlove said...

I'm so enjoying these lists! There are several there that I will have to follow up on.