Saturday, May 03, 2008

Dante Quiz

Reading So Many books blog, I found Dante’s Inferno Test. This reminded me that I'd started to read Dante's The Divine Comedy, but hadn't got very far with it. Take the test and find out what circle of Dante’s hell you can look forward to spending eternity in.

I took the test and found that I’m going to the first level of Hell–Limbo. The illustration below shows the different levels of hell, copied from the Oxford World Classics edition of The Divine Comedy. I've indicated the position of Limbo.

First Level of Hell - Limbo

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Charon ushers you across the river Acheron, and you find yourself upon the brink of grief's abysmal valley. You are in Limbo, a place of sorrow without torment. You encounter a seven-walled castle, and within those walls you find rolling fresh meadows illuminated by the light of reason, whereabout many shades dwell. These are the virtuous pagans, the great philosophers and authors, unbaptised children, and others unfit to enter the kingdom of heaven. You share company with Caesar, Homer, Virgil, Socrates, and Aristotle. There is no punishment here, and the atmosphere is peaceful, yet sad.

I had hoped for better, but it could have been much worse!

4 comments:

Paula Weston said...

Provocative and thought-provoking questions (well, some of them anyway...)

I actually made it to purgatory, which was kind of a surprise, given my misspent youth :) Perhaps I've learned a few lessons after all!

I've not read any Dante, but would like to at some point. Sounds quite challenging (from an intellectual and philosophical perspective)

TJ said...

Well Hello! I too found myself in limbo on this quiz...with all of those virtuous pagans. Hmmm.
I do hope you will continue with your Dante reading. I am just about to pick the Inferno up again as a re-read. May we look forward to your thoughts?
Lovely site,
TJ

BooksPlease said...

Paula, well done. I find Dante is challenging - I don't often read poetry for one thing and this is so long!

TJ, maybe limbo won't be too bad? I'll be writing something about The Divine Comedy - I did a short course on Dante's Florence earlier this year which got me interested and wrote a bit about it then - see here

stefanie said...

Limbo is where all the really cool people will be :)