Thursday, May 01, 2008

Mayday! - Booking Through Thursday



This week's BTT question:
Quick! It’s an emergency! You just got an urgent call about a family emergency and had to rush to the airport with barely time to grab your wallet and your passport. But now, you’re stuck at the airport with nothing to read. What do you do??

And, no, you did NOT have time to grab your bookbag, or the book next to your bed. You were . . . grocery shopping when you got the call and have nothing with you but your wallet and your passport (which you fortuitously brought with you in case they asked for ID in the ethnic food aisle). This is hypothetical, remember….

I rarely go anywhere without a book, so it's most likely that I'd have a book in the car. But if I didn't I'd buy one at the airport, or at least a magazine or newspaper, maybe a book of codewords or something.

I'd want to read something but I probably wouldn't be able to concentrate on anything as I'd be so nervous about catching the plane on time, worrying about the emergency and goodness knows what else ...

11 comments:

gautami tripathy said...

I tend to worry a lot. I even resort to biting my nails in emergencies!

Here is my BTT post!

Literary Feline said...

I'm the same way. I'd likely just buy something the read at the airport.

trish said...

I'd use the book to take my mind off the problem...hopefully. :D

What's a book of codewords?

trish said...

I'd use the book to take my mind off the problem...hopefully. :D

What's a book of codewords?

Lesley said...

Music and sleep would be my ways of getting through such an ordeal. And magazines.

DM said...

I've made the mistake of being in the airport with nothing to read. Books definately help me get my mind off my worries. So, I'd be off to the book shop and pay the inflated prices.

Donna
http://awty.blogspot.com

pussreboots said...

I'd buy something at the airport too. Happy BTT.

Kimmie said...

I'd probably buy a mass market mystery. Just something to do with my hands. There's usually not alot of heavy concentation required.

BooksPlease said...

Thanks for your comments.

Trish codeworks are similar to crosswords -every number in the codewords grid is 'code' for a letter of the alphabet. So the number '2' may correspond to the letter 'L', for instance etc.

They're also called alphapuzzles - I'm a bit addicted to them. Some of the daily papers here publish one every day and publish books of them as well.

I've just found you can do them on-line at http://www.saidwhat.co.uk/puzzleclub/codewords/codewords1.php

I haven't tried this so don't know how good it is.

Table Talk said...

I found this difficult to answer partly because I never travel and partly because I'm never without a book. The hypothesis just didn't work for me.

stefanie said...

I would definitely have to buy something at the airport even at the risk of missing the plane otherwise I would be a very bad passenger ho might get pulled off the plane for suspicious behavior when I start twitching and acting nervous due to book withdrawal.