Saturday, May 17, 2008

Saturday Scene

Today I finished reading Our Longest Days, 6 years of wartime diary entries from the start of the Second World War on 3rd September 1939 to its end in 1945. I feel as though I have emerged from the book with a much greater understanding of those years. More about the book maybe tomorrow.

The rain that was forecast again for today didn't arrive this morning and this is what I saw looking out of the window. The cattle are back in the field opposite. I took the first photo through the window and you may be able to see a ghost in the hedge - that's my reflection.


So I opened the window to get a better view and the bullock nearest the hedge spotted me. Here he is posing for the camera.

The rest of the cattle didn't like the photoshoot and took off up the field.


The rain is here now, so it's just as well we got some gardening in first and managed to shred the branches D had chopped off the pussy willow earlier in the week. It had got huge and was hanging over our neighbours' roof. Shredding is a very satisfying job using a small woodchipper or hogger (as D calls it), although it's a bit noisy.

9 comments:

Nan - said...

You've probably mentioned this before, but are those cows yours? If not, do you rent out your field, or does the field belong to someone else? Does it immediately adjoin your lawn? We rented a house in Wales in 1992, and just next to the house was a field of cows, much like yours. How we loved it.

BooksPlease said...

Nan, the cows are not ours, nor the field. Our house is in a little lane which runs between the house and the field. This is my view every morning when I'm in the kitchen or on the computer upstairs. The cows have just been let out into the fields these last few days after spending winter inside. The farm is the other side of the field down another little lane.

Terri B. said...

I'm interested to hear what you have to say about the book. My 90 year old grandmother passed away last year and one of the things that came to me were her diaries from 1935 through 1947. It wasn't all about the war, but there were entries. She brought the past very much into the present for me. I could feel the fear as she listened to the radio and heard about Germany invading Poland and then later about the bombs being dropped on Hiroshima and Nagasaki. There were entries about friends and relatives that never came home from the war that made me cry as if I knew them myself. Knowing at closer hand what her world was like as a young woman made me understand her so much more.

stefanie said...

I've probably said this before, but I love that you can look out your window and see the pasture and the cows. It must be so peaceful (at least that's how I imagine it)

Cath said...

I love the way the cows took umbrage when you pointed the camera at them!

Did you ever finish Molly Panter-Downes wartime stories? I'm just reading her 'peacetime' volume and finding it to be really delightful. I hear that her 'One Fine Day' is wonderful too.

BooksPlease said...

Terri, I would love to have talked more to my parents about their lives - to have a diary from your grandmother is just marvellous. The diary entries in Our Longest Days do bring the past alive and at times are so sad, but there is hope in them too. I hope to write more about the book today.

Stefanie, most of the time it is indeed peaceful. It's mostly quiet too, with only a little traffic going to houses further down the lane.

Cath, I was reading Mollie Panter-Downes London War Notes along with Our Longest Days at first, but I found it confusing. Now I've finished it I'm going back to reading London War Notes. I loved One Fine Day and wrote about it here

Cath said...

Thanks for the link to One Fine Day. I'm definitely on the look-out for that one now, preferably with that gorgeous cover too!

Lisa said...

I love to read about the personal thoughts and feelings of ordinary people going through extraordinary times. It is so much more satisfying and enlightening than reading an academic history of the same event. You are so lucky to have such a beautiful view. Thanks for sharing your pictures.

Danielle said...

Too wild--cows outside your window! Not a view I'll ever get outside mine. I wish I lived somewhere quiet and green (even if there were cows next door!). Great photos!